The Start-Up Alley is part of the ONA23 Midway, a futures lab for tomorrow’s journalism, bringing together the best thinking in the media technology, tools and workforce space.
Your start-up exists because you wanted to disrupt the ecosystem. That’s why ONA is interested in introducing you to our global community of digital journalists. We are looking for innovative tools that can help elevate the online media space. We want people confident in what they have created and excited to demonstrate it in interactive ways.
ONA defines start-ups as ventures that have not been operating for more than 24 months and offers those groups a deeply discounted rate to support participation at our annual conference. Start-ups are allowed to participate in the ONA Start-Up Alley a maximum of two times.
The application deadline for the Start-Up Alley has passed. Learn about other ways to connect with the ONA23 audience by emailing Hanaa Rifaey.
What to Know
The Start-Up Alley receives significant promotion before and during the annual conference. In the lead-up to ONA23, the Start-Up Alley will be featured in a dedicated blog post on the conference site, which will be promoted in the conference newsletter and on official ONA23 social media. Onsite at ONA23: Philadelphia, there will be physical signage highlighting the Start-Up Alley, as well as a tabletop area in the Midway for the groups to use as a shared networking space starting the evening of Wednesday, Aug. 23 through Aug. 25. (This tabletop area will be labeled on the interactive map in the ONA23 app.) Additionally, there will be a dedicated session block on the official ONA23 agenda promoting the Start-Up Alley, encouraging attendees to visit that tabletop area to learn about each of the groups.
A brief application was required to submit by Friday, May 12. All applicants have been notified. Learn about other ways to connect with the ONA23 audience by emailing Hanaa Rifaey.
The Start-Up Alley package is deeply discounted at $450 and includes:
- One full ONA23 conference pass
- Shared tabletop space in ONA23 Midway, Aug. 24-25, located in Franklin Hall on the 4th floor of the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Shared promotion in ONA23 blog post highlighting Start-Up Alley, linking to a dedicated information page for each group. The blog post will be promoted in the ONA23 newsletter and on ONA23 social media accounts
- Opportunity to propose Midway programming
- Official recognition as an ONA23 Start-Up Alley participant and promotion as part of ONA23 Midway
- Digital presence on ONA23 app and website
- Listing in ONA’s Industry Directory (one year)
- Organization name listed in conference email newsletters